Will I ever get this blog right??? I don’t know! For me, writing this blog is like raising a child in this modern world. Both parents work to cover the costs. There is no time beyond what it takes to drop the kid at day care and, hopefully, remember to pick him up. Drive him to a few activities,.. story, baths and bed.. opps.. did I forget supper? ..and lunches for tomorrow? Friday remember to Skype the grandparents… Did I hear the word “romance?” Who has time?.. but we must do something to keep the marriage together…. In the face of all that life throws at us, we can only hope we get it right.
No time to focus on the future when the challenge is to live in the moment. But how do we live in the moment? Here are six thoughts.
1. Focus on the now. Take a wee break. Deep breath! Slow down and savour the moment. Take that bit of extra time to enjoy your meal, have a coffee or walk to the store. It will leave you feeling just that bit better,.. more secure and happier.
2. Pay attention to the small things that make you happy. Eating ice cream, blowing bubbles or listening to music.
3. Smile. Look in the mirror and smile. (not grimace.. I said smile!) Making an emotional face will influence how you feel.
4. Do something for someone else… a random act of kindness will make them smile and it will improve life for both of you.
5. Be thankful. Every now and then, stop and count your blessings. Live in the moment by expressing your gratitude right when you feel it,
6. Don’t worry if you are doing it right. If it’s raising a child, writing a blog or holding your marriage together, every second spent in worry will be a second wasted. Worry takes you out of the present moment and moves you to the realm of future possibilities. You can not live in the moment and worry at the same time.
For now, I’m just going to take a moment to listen to Aretha Franklin singing “Get it Right.”